Sunday, January 23, 2011

Alarm clocks, churches, orientations, and epiphanies!


January 23, 2011
This morning, I woke Deb violently with my alarm clock (we have bunk beds and I have the top bunk) not once, but twice! Sorry Deb…
After a lovely breakfast (cereal, yogurt, and toast) we loaded up vans for church. There were four options. I decided to try Reg’s church, called North Hills. It was supposedly “conservatively charismatic.” I was interested in trying it because the church I attend at home is conservative and Baptist. I figure that while I’m in a new EVERYTHING (home, environment, culture), I might as well try a new kind of church!
And I am quite glad I did. I have never felt so welcomed in my life! The moment we got off the bus, we were bombarded with hugs from church members! It was a beautiful experience. I kept thinking, “Wow, this is how fellowship is supposed to be.” The church was much more charismatic than what I am used to. It was a very different, but awesome experience! It was wonderful to see a new way of worshipping the same God. I enjoyed the pastor very much. After church, there was teatime! (surprise, surprise- here, they have tea time 3 times every day! Quite a lovely tradition, if you ask me!)
After church, Destiny, Deb and I explored the campus (if you could call it that! Technically, it’s a reserve) a bit. I am in awe of the natural beauty of this place. We also enjoyed some wonderful Jesus conversation J.
Today also held orientation. It was fascinating! I was so excited to learn every detail of my new home. My favorite part of orientation came when Reg showed us a picture of a beautiful, black (PS: here it culturally acceptable to describe people by their skin color) little girl. Reg told us, “You cannot come to South Africa expecting to fix our country because you can’t. Even all of us in this room couldn’t fix the whole of it. But you can make a change for at least one person. And they can make a change for you if you let them.” He then went on to tell us the story of the little girl. Her mother died of AIDS when the girl was 12 weeks old. Reg’s son and daughter-in-law were looking to adopt her. They decided to name her Rebecca. When the adoption papers were about to be signed, the woman helping Reg’s son and his wife said, “We forgot to tell you. It was the girl’s mother’s dying wish that she keep her given name.” Reg’s son was disappointed. His soon-to-be-daughter was Zulu, so it was almost certain she would have a different name. “What’s her name?” he asked. The woman replied, “Rebecca.” It is amazing to me how God works even in the smallest details. (He wanted you to be reading this right now J)
Lastly, I had a lovely and lengthy skype chat with my family and a brief one with Francesca and Danielle.
TODAY’S LESSON:
I had an epiphany! I was looking around the dining room at dinner. It was packed with APU students. Before I came on this adventure, I was so intimidated by the other people going! After all, they were upper classmen. They were the alpha leaders and I was the alphie! They knew which food lines were shorter at certain times in the day! I was a lowly freshman who wasn’t even 18 yet because she graduated high school early.
As I was looking around at the faces I was beginning to know and love, I realized something. I wasn’t afraid of them anymore.
 It hasn’t even been a week yet and already I feel like I have learned a lifetime of knowledge. I can’t wait to see all the lessons God has in store for me!

1 comment:

  1. Told you. Neener. :)

    God is absolutely breathtaking.

    Love!

    JennJenn

    ReplyDelete