Sunday, January 23, 2011

There's no place like (my new South African) home!


January 22, 2011
This morning was the final leg of the journey! We headed back to the Joburg airport for a flight to Durban. At first when we heard we were getting BACK on a plane, we were horrified. But, back to the airport, we went! We took over 90% of the plane. APU powerrrr! Just as the flight attendants passed out lunch (which was about 20 minutes into the ride), the lovely accented voice came over the intercom: “Ladies and gentlemen, we are now beginning our descent. Please return your seats to the upright position.” That has become my favorite announcement EVER!!! Glorious JOY!!!!!
Once we disembarked, we were shocked by a slap of humidity! It was not unbearable, but certainly not a welcomed change. We hopped onto a bus for an hour and a half ride to Pietermaritzburg. I have made it my goal to sit by different people every time I get on the bus. This has proved to be absolutely advantageous for several reasons. 1) I learn more people’s names! Every time I see them, I use their name to plaster it in my brain and make them smile. 2) I get to hear each person’s amazing story. Oddly enough, it seems to me that most people came to South Africa by accident, myself included.
For those of you who don’t know how I came to be apart of this program, here is my story:
This summer, I came to APU to check out the dorms since I was close and quite excited about decorating my room, and had to scope out the better side of the room (HAHA MCKENNA! Totally kidding J Love you). While I was there, I decided to go check out the study abroad office. It was my goal to study abroad 3 times: Sophomore spring, Junior Spring, and Senior fall. I was planning on studying in Paris, London, and Australia. I walked into the office and said, “HI I’m a freshman! Where can I go?” They told me I could go anywhere I darn well pleased! Then, the moment that changed my life forever! Out of the corner of my eye, I spied a glittering (just kidding) brochure for South Africa. Out of curiosity, I went over and picked it up. As I was looking at it, I swear, I felt a sudden and certain call and desire to go. I decided to apply as a freshman, not expecting to get in, as it is a very competitive program, but I DID! I consider that a miracle.
FINALLY when we reached the beginning of the African Enterprise property, it truly felt like AFRICA!!! It is absolutely GORGEOUS and green and luscious! Ever been to the Jungle Cruise at Disneyland? I swear it looks exactly like that here! Disneyland, my love, you have prepared me well. J Here, we saw our first African wildlife: MONKEYS!!! Unfortunately, I was too slow to snap a picture. I VOW to get one next time. Watch out, monkeys.
Right when we arrived, we were greeted by a South African tribal dance team in authentic garb. Use your imagination. I thought it would be speedy, but OH NO. This dance took about 15 minutes! It was very intricate and I think at one point it was portraying a battle of some sort… For the grand finale, there was a kick line. A 5 minute kick line. SO INTENSE. ( No worries, guys, they were wearing shorts.) I like to refer to them as the South African Rocketts. What a welcome!
After a quick orientation, we were assigned our chalets: A house with 2 community showers and 2 bathrooms and 4 rooms. I am rooming with the lovely Deborah Auda! So fun J We are in Majalefa 2. But I can’t pronounce it, so I call it Mufasa 2. Right outside our chalet, there is a waterfall. I am not kidding. It is PARADISE! As my friend Ally mentioned, it is going to stink going back to main campus.
The rest of the night was spend getting acquainted with our new rooms! It was frighteningly humid so Deb and I opened the windows to our room. Before we knew it, our entire light was COVERED in bugs. AHHHH! Luckily, I am a Junior Ranger (thank you, Wyoming) and had been trained to handle such dangerous situations. We turned off the light and let them leave, then shut the windows. I swear, I should be paid for this brilliance. Just kidding!
I have lovely chalet mates and can’t wait to get to know them better! Deb and I began Africa bracelets and have scheduled nightly prayers. BAM. Excited for tomorrow

1 comment:

  1. Go, Junior Ranger, go!

    Love, your attitude is perfect. Praise the Lord for your time on the bus with different bus partners.

    God is great!

    LOVE you!

    JennJenn

    ReplyDelete