Tuesday, January 25, 2011

"What is the opposite of an exodus?" + clicking.


January 25, 2011
Boy, did I start my day out RIGHT today! I took a 6:30 hike w/ Deb, Carmen, and Noelle. Why so early, you Americans may ask? J In Africa, the best time to chill with wildlife is in the wee hours of the morning.
Although our hike was magnificent, there were no animals to be seen! I suppose 6:30 is not quite wee enough of an hour…
I am one of the few hikers who has yet to see a zebra! (Pronounced like “Debra” with a z.) I VOW to see a zebra before I leave this continent! Actually, I vow to RIDE one across the African plains! How do you like that, zebras?! They filmed Racing Stripes here. I have the same color of hair as Hayden Penettire, so I feel like they wouldn’t be too opposed to me riding them…. J
My day just continued to get better. Why? Because today was our first service sight visit! The organization was called IThemba. If I worked there, I would get to lead a Bible study, visit people in homes, play games, help kids with English, do a community service project, and other miscellaneous jobs! It sounds amazing. Using pathos as an attempt to make us all want to work at iThemba, we went to visit some of the children we would be helping in a day care.
When we got there, this little African boy ran up to me and practically jumped into my arms! It was possibly one of the most beautiful moments of this semester so far (INFINITELY many to choose from, and it’s not even been a WEEK.) I was holding this child, and for a moment, I felt inexplicably content and perfectly happy.
He pretty much sealed the deal for me!
BUT we have 4 more service sites to visit before we decide on where we want to work.
Of course I would LOVE to work here, but I am waiting to see where God wants me.
Good talk with Mackenzie on the way back from iThemba. (I still don’t like Eminem.)
Once we were back in paradise, we attempted to tackle some of the 150 page plus essay assignment for tomorrow, but was momentarily distracted by the lovely Lindsay. She was sketching and I was going to read, so we decided to be inspired and sit by the waterfall.
What was supposed to be a silent buddy study/ sketch time turned into an inspired chat which lead to intense prayer.
Can I just say that it is super hard (if not IMPOSSIBLE) to not pray and praise God when you are staring at a WATERFALL in AFRICA?! I am not strong enough to resist J.
Lindsay, thank you so much girl! One of the best parts of my day!
Then I actually DID get some studying done! Not enough, but a respectable amount J.
Enjoyed some quiet time in the room while listening to the rain make soothing music outside.
This is where my day ran into some slight malfunctioning… yes, malfunctioning. Before I left the continent (I’m still not used to saying that!) my wonderful father changed my alarm clock to military time. Why? Ask him. Being the sentimental person I am, I could not bring myself to change the clock back to lame people time. So today when I decided to take an African Cat Nap (definition: short sleep in Africa J) I set my alarm for 4:00, not 16:00. DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUUUUUN (<- scary music). I did this not once, but twice. Sigh. So when I woke up LATE AGAIN, I had to make a MAD DASH to my first Zulu class and was 30 seconds late. I received the death stare from my professor. Double siiiigh.
So for those of you who don’t know, Zulu is a click language. It is intriguing to listen to, but KILLER to speak! My tongue is NUMB! There are three main clicks, and five variations of EACH click! I can BARELY hear the difference between the MAIN clicks! I thought I would be ahead of the game with all my lovely vocal training, as I am specialized in hearing, processing, and transmitting sounds, but NO. Alas. It will be challenging, but I am holding onto the goal of having an intelligent… well, ok, functional, conversation with a Zulu individual. IT WILL BE WORTH IT.
While I was clicking like a horse or a rude smooth-talker (yep, there’s a difference), the world was ending in my chalet. When I returned home, Deb asked me, “What is the opposite of an exodus?” I came to hear that there had been a mass entrance of winged (pronounced like wing-ed, if you please) creepy-crawlies into the chalet. My poor chalet mates had to call for maintenance! Poor Mufasa 2! Not going to lie, I am quite grateful that is one adventure I missed out on J (Even though I would have traded bug-duty to see a zebra! Wherefore art thou, zebra?!)
Although Deb was referring to the next Moses-inspired plague, I think she made a great point with potential insight. I had an exodus when I left America. I am now having an anti-exodus. I want to have an exodus of my insecurities and fears, and the opposite of an exodus with great lessons and new revelations and beautiful relationships. Round of applause for Deb, everyone!
I would now like to give a shout out to two of life’s greatest people:
Tom Tom! I miss you so much, best friend! I keep wishing you were here; there are so many adventures you would LOVE! I miss you always making me laugh and being there for me when I need perspective or advice. This is something Clinty could never do. Love you!
Katherine Barton! Girl! You are so inspirational… I am so grateful God gave me a soul sister! Thank you for making such a valiant effort to be in my life even when I’m not there! You are so beautiful, but even more so on the inside. I strive to love people and the Lord like you do!
**You guys, I want to share: Kat had to write about someone inspiring for English, and she wrote about me! BEST THING OF MY LIFE! Words can’t describe! I am so completely honored… I love you girl! Thank you!
Last thing for today! Here is my new life plan: Have a life-changing semester (pshhh check ALREADY). Finish college majoring in theatre, with a minor in youth ministry, having studied abroad again. Get Master’s degree in ministry. Marry a soon-to-be pastor. Return to South Africa. Husband shall run a church. I shall create a South African Youth Art’s camp bringing Jesus, love, hope, and art to all who participate. Adopt two African children. Find Hannah Kenny a husband (haha ;) Have a child of my own. Nightingales come live with us. Live a life full of love, dedicating my life to God’s plans and works, following wherever He leads me.
That is the best my imagination could come up with. God’s plan may be different. But the cool part is: 1) He has given me these new hopes and desires 2) if I follow His plan, my life will be WAY cooler than I ever expected.
I think I’m on the right path. Just like the greatest TV show of all time’s theme goes, “Where you lead, I will follow, anywhere!” (PS that’s from Gilmore Girls.)
Ahhh. I love my life. And I love you for reading this blog. 

1 comment: