Wednesday, January 26, 2011

"Take liver."


January 26, 2011
“We, the Spring 2011 South Africa team, have become a joyful, blessed, close-knit Christ-like family through our passion for service, adventure, culture and worship, resulting in revival of our spirits and genuine transformation of our hearts and worldview.”
Thus sayeth the South African Study Abroad team, when asked for our goal for this experience. It’s a definite 10.
On the way to breakfast this morning, there were two monkeys hanging out on the grass. This is my thought process: How cute they are! They must be so friendly! I’ll talk to them and they’ll become my pets and want to come home with me! So EXCITED! Here goes! “Oh HEY guys!” I call out to the monkeys. They don’t even look. Jerks. So much for my monkey family!
First thing of the morning was South African history class with Reg. He began the class saying, “We don’t think you need to know a lot of dates. We just want you to know how we got to be the way we are.” SCORE! I’ve never been good at dates, so this is super positive J. Props to him for making it quite exciting! (PS, Tommy! Your birthday is a South African holiday!)
After history, I decided to crash Luke/Acts to hear Reg talk about why he thinks we can trust the Bible. Like my awesome chalet mate, Miranda, said, “Reg is a fountain of knowledge! I want to learn all that I can from him!” True that, friend.
I spent the entire lecture smiling like this -> J.
I was going to share the lesson, but I feel like I cannot adequately relay the message with as much brilliance and detail as it deserves… I was trying to write it out and it seemed silly because I wasn’t able to provide all the detail Reg did… If you’re interested, I can email you my notes, but unless you really want them, I don’t want to butcher them. We’re dealing with Holy matters, people. No time to take chances J.
BUT some things that stood out to me: Every time scholars think they found something wrong with the Bible, archeologists discover something new that proves the Bible RIGHT. Case: “Dude, how could, like, water, like, cover the WHOLE earth? That’s so stupid, man.” Point: No, you’re stupid, man. Just kidding. BUT scientists have found fish skeletons embedded in MOUNTAINS! How else do you explain that?! And there was a recent-ish case where an archeologist discovered an early civilization buried underneath two meters of rock… I don’t speak science, but somehow, this type of rock was from water. And this scientist was NOT a Christian. Tommy always says “the tennis ball never lies.” Well, neither does the Bible. Take THAT, dude.
And every time people get super freaked out and mistrusting of the Bible, new discoveries pop up that absolutely prove the Bible TRUE!!! It’s like God saying, “Sorry, guys. You can’t win this one. It’s true. Suck it up and believe already.” Of course, God doesn’t use that terminology. But you get the gist J
For example: The dead sea scrolls. HELLO! That was such an IN YOUR FACE, BIBLE-DOUBTERS! Ah. I could go on all day about this.
Then a hike with Wylanna and Allie. We saw a family of deer. They were quite photogenic. Alas, I cannot prove this to you, as I did not bring my camera… sniff, sniff.
Then I was lucky enough to have a beautiful bonding time with Allie, complete with a prayer in the prayer chapel. I SWEAR I am going to get a reputation of a compulsive prayer! Everywhere I go, I’m all, “Can we pray?! It’s URGENT!” J.
Tonight during Zulu, my class was doing an Eliza Doolittle impression- Zulu style! Our professor, Wyn, was definitely the impossible ‘Enry ‘Iggins. How I longed to hear, “I think she’s got it!” and sing “The rain in spain stays mainly in the plaaaaaaaane!” Did I mention I’m a theatre geek? J. There is no bonding experience quite like learning a click language.
Zulu trivia: You know the phrase, “take heart?” In Zulu, it’s "take liver." LIVER. In this culture, bravery comes from the liver.
I was feeling a little sad today. It’s officially been a week. Realizing that was jaw-dropping, knee-slapping, double-take, say-whaaat, CRAZY! I have learned SO much! But it feels like it has been a MONTH! I feel a bit of… * gulp * not homesickness, but more like PEOPLE-sickness. I miss ma familia today. I used to see them about once a week. And I think I just realized I was jipped of a visit! SIGH. This is where I’m grateful for Skype and the holy spirit that provides peace and comfort.
Quite a day. Special love to TomTom! Miss you, best friend!!!! Please, take liver. 

2 comments:

  1. Renna take Liver don't be sad. Haha you deserve a badge or something saying, "I survived my first week of Zulu." Belay on bebe <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings, wee one! Just getting caught up here. Your posts make me all "giggle is about to burst through the back of my nose"-y.

    HAH!

    Yes, dearie. Take liver. You are dearly loved!

    ReplyDelete