Saturday, March 12, 2011

Ayeko Ofana NoJesu!


March 11, 2011!

Today was AWESOME.

We got to go on a retreat with the Ethembeni family!

We were going to a farm. Ahem. Family bonding on horseback? NOT for the cripple!

Reagan drove us in the big bus so that we could help drive most of the Ethembeni team, as most of them don’t have cars.

Reagan and I had a great talk! I heard about his life and his journey with Christ. SO inspiring!!

So, they said we were going to a farm. When we pulled up, I was convinced we were lost. We were in EDEN, not a FARM!!! It was so completely, breathtakingly beautiful. Quite wonderful, indeed!

The day was Jesus-filled. We began with worship. MY FAVORITE!!! I can’t contain my joy when I witness true worshipping. It just doesn’t work out for me They sang "Ayeko Ofana NoJesu," which is the ONE song we know. It's always our favorite! It means "There is no one like Jesus." True THAT.

A pastor spoke for about an hour and a half in Zulu. I obviously had NO CLUE what was going on, so I read Romans. Every single time I read Romans, I get my mind blown. There are no two ways about it. While I was reading, I came to a realization. I love Jesus with my whole heart. But I don’t have as much Biblical knowledge as I should. Lord, let my zeal be based on knowledge. I am beginning my biblical quest that will probably last me a lifetime! Hurrah J (not that I don’t read my bible. I totally do. But I read it for comfort, not to be FILLED WITH KNOWLEDGE.)

Then we split up for one-on-ones. I was paired with my social worker. I was beginning to get frustrated due to the language barrier. I asked her how I could pray for her. She didn’t understand. “What can I pray for you for?” She gave me her prayer requests, and I gave her mine. Then we prayed. Something I enjoy about African culture is that people pray out loud at the same time! It was so cool to hear praying in Zulu and English to the same God! How epic! I prayed that God would grow our relationship. And He DID! Right after that, I discovered how to make my shy social worker smile. All I had to do was use my Zulu in silly ways. She LOVED it! We definitely had a bonding moment J.

Then we assorted ourselves into groups of 15. We went around the circle discussing our calling and how we were fulfilling it. This was one of my favorite parts. It was all in Zulu, but luckily, I sat next to someone who translated for me. These people felt they were called to serve. They are cooks and cleaners and gardeners and farmers. And yet, they all felt like they were doing what God wanted of them. So they were happy! They were JOYFUL about their position in life! Imagine that: being totally content where you are because you know God has called you there! SO BEAUTIFUL!!!

South Africans are so joyful and carefree. They spent about an hour playing silly Zulu games and cracking up in laughter about every two minutes. They care for one another! The young people are always helping the elderly! I LOVE IT HERE.

On the way home, Reagan told me something super profound. We can never truly find ourselves until we come face to face with God. Once we have given our lives to Him, our identity is completely wrapped in Him. If you want to find out who you are, find out who Jesus is. That is so cool! I have often struggled with identity issues, so this new perspective is glorious.

Chalet dinner at an Italian restaurant! SO FUN! I cannot tell you the BLISS it was to eat pizza!!! I almost fell over! But if that was the pizza or the crutches, who can say. J

When we got back, I got to hang out with Zachariah for a bit, and then I went to the prayer chapel. I missed going there! It was an epic BATTLE trying to get there, BUT I DID! SO PROUD! The prayer chapel is definitely my favorite spot on campus.

A lovely, Jesus-filled day!

1 comment: