Monday, February 14, 2011

"Are You From Africa?"


February 13, 2011

Ahhh what a day.

I slept in for the first morning in QUITE a few! ALLLL the way to 7:30! Wooooooo!

At church, North Hills honored Anthony, who died last week. It was very nice. They spoke about Heaven. I realized that I want to go just like Anthony did. He was singing “In Christ Alone” and all of the sudden he was LOOKING at Christ! What a blessing.

Often when I get stressed, especially when I am sitting down for long periods of time (movies, theatre, class) I suddenly can’t breathe. It’s like my lungs can’t get enough air. It’s like claustrophobia to the MAX, because it’s internal! All of a sudden, I am experiencing this loveliness, so I turn to Kara, who is sitting next to me, and ask her to pray for me. Without hesitation, she does. Out of nowhere, she hands me this ice-cold glass of water. (It was like a SAUNA in that church!) “WHERE”- gasp- “did you” GAAASP “get this?!” She points behind me, and this lady gives me a small wink and turns back to the pastor. HOW DID SHE KNOW?! I wasn’t freaking out or anything! Ok, I WAS but on the INSIDE! And she was so gracious! She was so subtle about accepting thanks. I was SO grateful. That water helped so much. After major gulp-age and prayer, I was ok. Hooray! After the service, I turned around to thank the gracious woman, but she was GONE. Angel much?!

After getting back, Deb goes, “Hey Ren, let’s rearrange our room.” UM…. HOW?! Our room is seriously 2x4. Don’t get me wrong. I love it. I really do. It’s so quaint and lovely. But Deb was talking de-bunkage of our bunk beds. Did I need to restate the whole “IM CLAUSTROPHOBIC AND NEED BREATHING SPACE” thing?! But she looked so excited. Sigh. “Okaaaay… sounds great… cough. What… um… what are you thinking of doing??” Ok, sidenote: I TOTALLY understand wanting to rebunk. I’m on the top bunk, and I’m always the last to sleep and first to get up. And our bunk beds, though oh so lovely, are CREEKY! You’d think they were SINGING every time you TOUCH it, let alone move around! So every time either of us moved, it was like, EARTHQUAAAAAAAAAKE!!!!! Imagine what it was like for poor Deb when she’s been contentedly asleep for an hour and I have to jump down, turn off the light, and get back up, settle in, etc. We’re talking 8 on the Richter Scale. Plus, Deb can’t sit up or she’ll hit her head. With this knowledge in my gracious heart, I agree to de-bunkage. Our room NOW has our beds in an L-shape, with both of us near a window. It is SO MUCH BETTER!!!! The bunks aren’t blocking out the sunshine! I can reach the windows AND light switch from my bed, and I don’t have to climb whenever I forget something! Ahhh. SO good. And I thought I had it good last arrangement. Pshh. Shows what I know J

After lunch, we headed to “Talking Drums.” Excuse me, what? Personification? A family team came to AE and we each got to play a Jimbay and one other instrument. It was SO FUN!!! W were all making music together with different rhythms! Everyone got an additional instrument. I got maracas. Laaaaame. I really wanted the bike horn. Oh well. But ANYWAY, it was my favorite activity so far, besides hiking the Drakensbergs!

Then I attempted to be social and played capture the flag. Yeah… fail. I played defense, so basically, I stood around watching for intruders. LAME! (No one’s fault.) Just… I WISH I liked sports! I feel like my life would be so much easier! Sports are what bond people! They send an instant connection! But I honestly just can’t stand them. Whenever I sing for Major League baseball games, I always ditch right after my free hotdog at the earliest opportunity. I don’t UNDERSTAND why I can’t appreciate SPORTS! I am a mystery, even to me.

Then I conquered some Hw. Wooo.

Promptly at 6:00, we had a semi-formal Valentine’s Dinner/ Dance! It was so fun! I loved getting dressed up and seeing everyone all snazzed up! Ok, the funny thing is, all I EVER wear at home are dresses and skirts. No exceptions. I honestly hate pants. I avoid them at all costs. But, I was thinking, “OH I’m going to AFRICA! I want to be super modest so I can fit in with the culture!” Everybody else thought, “Oh, I’m going to AFRICA! Let’s pack cute dresses!” Or they bought some. I think it was a conspiracy. So, as I had NOTHING but a to-the-floor loosey-goosey dress resembling a bag, I borrowed a dress of Debs at the last minute. Hooraaay for roommates!

At dinner, I was planning to sit with my chalet, but with an unfortunate chair incidence (there were only 6 chairs, and 7 of us in our chalet), and my lack of athleticism (I let them go first), I was without a seat at dinner. So I ended up sitting with two couples on Valentine’s Day. (not the REAL valentine’s day, but STILL.) It was great. I loved being reminded of my singularity! No need to buy a card! No need to buy flowers or write considerate notes! Oh no! I am a free lass! Not even a need to dress up and impress anyone! I am thoroughly allowed to be invisible on this great holiday! YES!!!

This is the first Valentine’s day when I’ve actually been slightly bummed at NOT having a legit valentine. Meh.

During dinner there was a pick-up line contest! Here are my favorites:
1)    Allie: “Whoa are you a dementor? Cuz you just stole my KISS!”
2)    Matt: “Are you from Africa? Cuz Ah-frican-LOVE you!”
3)    Leslie: “I’m not trying to brag or anything, but I’m Batman.”

Bahaha. So good. It made me wonder what kind of people actually use pick-up lines? And… if they’re actually successful.

Then was dancing time! I had so much fun for the first hour! But… as I have previously mentioned, I am a musical theatre and Carrie Underwood geek. I do not listen to the radio. 90% of the fun at these dance-y-shenanigans is singing along! Plus, there are only so many moves in my dance repertoire that don’t involve pirouettes or pliees.

So I ditched and attempted to return to my chalet. Naturally, I NEVER bring my keys with me (WHAT?! I never have pockets!) and naturally, Deb ALWAYS locks the door. Sigh. So I went to the prayer chapel. It is officially my favorite place on campus. I sang to Jesus for an hour. It was so refreshing! I loved it. Definitely going to make it apart of my routine.
Then I headed back just in time for worship practice. Tyler offered to let me lead a song!!!! Um, YES. I never ever offer for that type of thing. So it makes me super happy when I get the opportunity! I got to lead “Heart of Worship,” one of my favorites. But only vocally, not on guitar. Wooot!

Then I stumbled into a great convo with Shelli and Destiny.

After all this, it was magically midnight, and officially Valentine’s Day. Hooray.

This weekend has been my favorite so far, what with the Drakensberg mountains, talking drums, and dress-up dance. I look forward to many more great memories!

1 comment:

  1. "Are you from Africa? Cuz Ah-frican-LOVE you!"
    I just died. So so good.

    ReplyDelete