Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Cue alarm clock: RIIIIING! "Oh, it's time for another life change!"


February 2, 2011 AGAIN!!!! WHAT A DAY!!!
In Skyping with the McKenster, This wonderful-ness took place. How about a dialogue?! OHHH HEYYYY!
Mckenna: What’s a recent lesson you’ve learned?
Me: Well, they’ve been few and far between. Nothing really POPS into my head… Ohh POPcorn! Something I REALLY MISS! Can you MAIL ME SOME!?
Mckenna: Focus, Ren. Come on. You have to think of SOMETHING!
Me: Kenna. I was kidding. I learn things like every hour on the hour.
Mckenna: Ah, yes. I forgot just how witty you were, besides being so intelligent and such a great humanitarian-
JUST KIDDING!!! J But here’s what I really said:
I thought South Africa was going to be HUGELY different from America. I was imagining a different smell, different air quality, different lighting, I mean, for Pete’s sake, the toilet flushes the OTHER way! Isn’t that a sign for COMPLETE difference?! Indeed, there ARE differences. It’s humid here, the landscapes are slightly more breathtaking, there are more bugs, the people look, speak, and act differently. But honestly, it feels like America still. For a while, I was somewhat disappointed. I came ALL this way for a different kind of weather?! But then, I came to realize something that should impact me for the rest of my life: Don’t wish to be anywhere other than where you are. Life’s not about where you are. It’s about what you do there, who you’re with, and your attitude towards that place. I keep asking myself, “What do I want out of life?” Here are a few answers I have come up with:
*Adventure!!! I want my life to be FILLED with adventure!!! I want to live fearlessly!! I want to see the WORLD! Whenever my mom and I are out and about, and a worker has an accent, my mom asks them where they’re from. 99% of the time, Mom can snazzily say, “Oh, I’ve been there!” Their smiles are radiant, now that they know someone can identify with where they’re from! I WANT TO BE ABLE TO DO THAT! I want to see God’s beauty in different forms all over the earth! I want my life to be full and varied, rich with knowledge gleaned from all 7 continents and their inhabitants!
*I want to be God’s missionary. I want to witness miracles, and BE a witness to Christ every day that I breathe! I want HIS light to RADIATE through my pores! I so want to be used by Him! I can do this anywhere, whether in India, South Africa, or Azusa.
*I need love. ALL forms of love! I want to love my neighbor. I want to love my friends. I want to love every moment! I want to love BREATHING! I want to love my future husband and kids! I want to love my current family! I want to love this world. Basically, can my middle name be Love? No offense, Mom and Dad, but isn’t “Love” SO much cooler than “Anne?!” (HEY WHAT IF I marry a man with the last name of Love? EH? Anybody out there with that surname? (<- once again, African term. Dang, I am [as my Little Shop friends would say,] GITTIN’ IT! J)
PS: Miss you, Desi, Em, Demi, and Tommy! You’re all WONDERFUL! I expect you to tell me the MINUTE you hear from schools and decide which one!

ANOTHER IMPORTANT LESSON.
I was reading Ephesians this morning. It speaks to my SOUL! It is so beautifully written! I feel like it was God’s plan to have Paul be an apostle partly so he could write so passionately, deeply, and clearly! Props to you, Paul. I’m diggin’ your writing. Check it out:

As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins, in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient.”

Lesson: I am not of this world. Why the heck am I acting like it?!

Guys, seriously. Taking someone out of their element and dropping them in another culture with 55 other people for 3 ½ months does WONDERS for their confidence. Now, it’s like I’m in a WHOLE NEW WOOOOOORLD!!! ALMOST literally. J It’s interesting to walk around South Africa and think, I’m not really apart of THIS world. I’m apart of my world back home. But I’m not even really apart of THAT home either. I’m a princess in God’s court.

[WOW. I am not usually this preachy. But it’s on my heart. And if you’re reading this, I feel like you have some sort of love for me, and hopefully you believe I’m a pretty darn genuine person J]

Day by day, as long as I fight the fight, I feel less and less afraid. Less afraid of what people think of me. Less afraid of failure. (Case and point: I took a Zulu test and possibly did the worst I have ever done on a test. Old moi would have FREAKED OUT, gone into a deep depression, wearing only black, chopping all my hair off, and listened only to showtunes. [OH WAIT- that one about the show tunes? Shoot J] New me? I learned a great lesson. I know how to ace the rest of the tests. I’m not going to worry about it. How will that help? I am up for the challenge! MY FAILURES DO NOT DEFINE ME. I don’t know yet if I failed. But the point remains the same. J) My skin is feeling more and more comfortable.

A few years ago, if you asked me to trade lives with you, I would have thought about it if you were Miley Cyrus, Selena Gomez, etc. (Ok, give me a BREAK! It was junior high! Isn’t everyone entitled to hate their life at one point or another? Nope. Writing it, I am realizing how NEGATIVE hat sounds. Not even ok. I had no excuse. But still. The unfortunate point is, I didn’t like myself very much.) Go ahead. Ask me now if I’ll trade lives with you.

….

No. J You OWN being YOU, and I’ll OWN being me, ok?

Something I DID consider the other day was somewhat deep. Or at least I thought so. Reg (brilliant. ‘Nough said.) was talking about how the less fortunate inherit heaven. THEY are the ones who get dibbs into the kingdom of Heaven. That’s kinda the goal of my life…. SO I would CONSIDER trading lives with a poor person. Is that politically correct? You who have little, I , who have much, am jealous! That sounds MESSED up. And it IS by this world’s standards. But that’s ok. Because I don’t wanna live by your standards anymore.

Peace out to that.

RANDOM:
Me: Hey Deb, what’s your favorite month?
Deb: December, why?
Me: No, Deb.
Deb: What?
Me. Feb.
Cricket, cricket.

WOW. WHERE do I get this stuff?! SO good. J

The other day, Mitch declared, “Renna’s ALWAYS smiling!” Dude. Life goal ACCOMPLISHED. Best impression EVER. Made my day, Mitch J

Tomorrow’s Riley’s birthday. As apart of the Birthday Committee, I decorated a chair for him in the dining room. Let’s just say I’m not changing my major to interior decorating any time soon. Sorry, Riley! It’s the thought that counts, right?

I wonder if I’ll ever have a short blog?

Nope, probably not. That would take ALL the charm away! And pshhh, that’s all I’ve got ;). Just kidding J

You are appreciated! Thanks for tuning in TWICE today!!!

2 comments:

  1. Don't shorten anything. You're bringing us there with you. Thank you. Your lessons become our lessons.

    You are dearly loved. Isn't God pehnomenal?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And of course by "pehnomenal" I meant phenomenal.

    "Comess" was the last one.

    ReplyDelete