Monday, February 21, 2011

THREE For the Price of ONE!


February 19, 20 AND 21, 2011

BAD NEWS: I missed out on two days of blogging. My heart HURTS! I have already gone through a WHOLE Kleenex box because of the pain my lack of blogging has caused me!

GOOD NEWS: You get to read about all of the HIGHLIGHTS and NONE of the BORING parts!!! WOOOOO!! Celebration!!! I kind of hope none of what I shared has been boring…. But ANYWAY!

Hold onto your hats and glasses, ‘cause HERE WE GO!!!!!

February 19:
Trip to DURBAN!! Full day with a water park, the beach, and a rugby match! A true dosage of South Africa, or so I gather!

The water park was nice. My favorite part was the dolphin show! There was definitely some synchronized swimming going on there! But besides that… I can’t say I was speechless.. But I did consider a career change to a dolphin trainer, so I felt like that means it was positive? Yes? Ok J.

After the miraculous (cough, cough.) dolphin show, Kayla and I went to the beach. It was so great to talk to her! I love that girl! Can’t wait to get to know her even better J. Then I went in the ocean. The waves were high, and deceptively weak. I always thought I was going to DROWN by the looks of those suckers! But indeed, I was fine.

That brings to mind a metaphor. Our issues in life are just like the Indian Ocean (I would know. HAHA! J) They look so menacing! They look like they will knock you over, pull you down, and drown you. But take heart! Because they won’t. Stronger is He who has overcome the world than he who is in it. My mama shared a quote with me a while back: “Tossed by the waves, she does not sink.” I believe it is a Greek phrase translated into English. It reminds me to fix my gaze on He who solves my problems! I cannot be shaken by the things of this world.
Case and point: there are lessons to be learned from the Indian Ocean! Check mate.

To get rid of the beach sand that had somehow attached to every part of our bodies, Shelli, Destiny and I went into the water park! HAHA! Working the system! Whoa! Getting crazy! There, I enjoyed my first water park rides.

And I realized why I had never been to a water park.

I kept thinking, “WHERE IS DISNEYLAND?!”

I am a hopeless case. Disney fan for life. What can I say?

Finally, we went to a rugby game! We all painted our faces! I felt SO hardcore. MHM.

Guess WHAT?! I liked rugby! It was WAY shorter than American football. It was way more fun to watch… It was faster-paced… Yep. Rugby is the next best sport to tennis. (Tommy, I say that solely out of allegiance to you. PROUD?!)
Morgan, Callie, and Kayla and I had fun together!

I have never been so tired. That day was EXHAUSTING!!!

But when I got back, there was a restlessness in my soul. I decided I would go to the prayer chapel.

But there was a MAN in the prayer chapel! HOW DARE HE?! And he looked super freaked out and I think his English was not so positive… so I left. Instead, I just plopped down on the grass and stared up at the sky. I began talking to God.

I asked Him things like,

“WHAT DO YOU HAVE FOR ME?! WHERE AM I SUPPOSED TO GO?! HOW DO I ACTUALLY GET RID OF MY FEAR?! WHAT DO YOU WANT OF ME?!” Among others.

I began to feel distraught. I needed some love. I went to bed with a trampled spirit.

February 20, 2011

I awoke the next morning to find my lovely Francesca on skype!!! AH, the JOY!!! But my computer was dying and so was Debs’, so I had to wait until AFTER church to talk to her. Would she still be awake!? The torture!

Before church, I talked to Shelli about trying to truly conquer the remnants of my fear forever.

In church, I spent most of the time journaling. “God, could you please give me a prophetic word? I would really be encouraged by physical words from someone right now.”  

Shelli leans over during the sermon and gives me Philippians 4:4-10.
“Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus… I rejoice greatly in the Lord…

I thought, wow. Cool. Thanks, Shelli J

After church, the awesome Karissa came up to me. She asked if she could talk to me. Pshhh NO. Just kidding J She told me that the night before, God had awoken her in the middle of the night and told her to pray for me.

He also gave her a prophetic word for me.

No joke.

But God has a great sense of humor. It cannot be denied.

Here is what Karissa said: (I asked her to write it down for me!)

“God wants so desperately for you to grasp the depths and reaches of his Joy! You specifically, Renna! He has created you to be joyful- he wants to fill you with it and pour out through you as a giver of joy to all those around you. Your joy is so apparent, and he wants you to seek to find it and fight for it in all that you do.”

As for how to get rid of fear?

“I’ve learned that we are not supposed to live in a way where we are focused on the things about ourselves that we want to fix or change. When you focus on the negative aspects of your life that you want to get rid of, you are putting energy into the wrong area. Instead, turn your gaze to the areas that God wants to pour into. Focus yourself onto the gifts, strengths, and ideas in you that God wants to nourish to bring glory to Himself! Don’t try to abolish fear, but seek with all of your being to find joy. When all of your energy is focused on your joy in the Lord, there will be no more energy left to loose to fear.”

More words of wisdom:

“Instead of putting your hope in what God may or may not do, or what he may or may not provide, put your hope in Him- in his character! This is so hard to remember to do. But when you do, then your hope will not be circumstantial and based in the future, but your hope will take root in the past, present, and future, because God transcends all time and circumstance!

Live your life with purpose, not with goals. Goals are so specific, but God’s purpose for you can be accomplished in any success or failure. Goals are great, but lean on your prayerfully sought purpose to guide them!

Ask God not just to open your eyes and ears, but ask him HOW to open your eyes and ears to what he is doing and saying to you.

I’ve personally learned that you shouldn’t look for where you think God is working in your life. Instead, just be aware and open to any way that He may work. His ways are not ours, and his working is unexpected.”

And something amazing that blows my mind:

“Beauty is anything that glorifies God!” If I want to be truly beautiful, all I have to do is live to glorify God. Whoa.

That was so perfect in SO many ways!!!
1)   God specifically told me how He wants to grow me this semester. I have something to work towards!
2)   Prophetic words. I got ‘em, right after I asked for ‘em.
3)   “Joy” was directly related to the verse Shelli gave me!!!
4)   God told me how I can attempt to get rid of fear!!! By FOCUSING on JOY, not on the fear!

SO blessed. Words cannot describe.

When I got home, I got to skype with Francesca! SO good!! I love you to the moon and back, Ma’am. It’s true J Thanks for staying up so late for me!!

Then I watched the best movie ever. AKA, Princess Bride. Sigh. Love.

The final crowning glory of my day? Worship practice. Tyler let me play guitar for worship with Riley, who happens to be a musical GENIUS! They were both completely helpful and patient with me! I cannot explain how grateful I am for their patience and assistance!

After practice, I talked to Tyler. He was SO encouraging! I think yesterday was national Encourage Ren Day! Yay! He’s great.

February 21, 2011

Hello dayyy!!!! Morgan and I went on a run, of course. I only got about 5 hours of sleep. My fault. But nevertheless, our run was so positive! I think today has been my favorite day as far as sunrises go… the sun was VIVIDLY orange, bursting through the trees! Ah! My heart was singing!

Chapel! I was so blessed to play guitar. Everyone is seriously so encouraging! I have rarely felt so true a time of worship. I have a theory on this: When I play guitar, I am focused on God. Without Him, I would not play well. I focus on Him and completely dedicate everything to Him. When I sing, I am relying on myself to make the notes sound as I want them. But… playing guitar is a real act of worship, as it requires a kind of surrender. I love it J Tyler is training me to be a worship leader!! Yaay!!!!

I have no Zulu this week. That means I basically have nothing to do. Yaaay! Hung out with Shelli, Debs, and Karissa this morning. Then went on a mall run. I got to hang out with Zach. His story is so inspiring! It makes me want to go change the world for Jesus J So excited for this new friendship! Yaay!

In Intercomm today, we got to watch Slumdog Millionaire. I have never seen it.

OHMYGOODNESS IT IS SO GOOD!!!! The cinematography, the acting, the colors, the script, the story, even the subtitles! Ah! I love it. I haven’t gotten to finish it though, and am about to have a panic attack. We have to wait until Thursday. UGH!

And now, here I am, stealing Deb’s computer to write this, as Shelli is borrowing mine. (Her computer friend. SO SAD!!!!)

AH. It has indeed been a magnificent three days.

No comments:

Post a Comment