Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Rock Rabbit Does Not Have a Tail Because of Procrastination.


Feb 10
AHHH yesterday morning, I woke up to the lovely high-pitched, never-ceasing beep of my alarm. How I’ve LONGED to hear it BEEEEEEP at 5:25 in the morning! All my dreams are coming TRUE!!! J
Morgan and I went a-runnin’ again, and to our good fortune, WHAT did we happen to see, just along our sunlit path? Why, zebras, of course! They are great. Officially my favorite animal. I cannot deny it ANY longer.
And I hate to admit this… but I think I maybe-might have had  bit of a bad attitude going on during intercom… our professor (Clive. Remember him? The “pants” man?) has assigned this super intense solo project that is supposed to be CRAZY creative where we study a culture, provide interviews, an artifact of the culture, videos, posters with collages, games, multimedia, interactive shenanigans, the WHOLE works. Oh yeah, and it’s a TWENTY MINUTE PRESENTATION. I don’t know if I’ve ever willingly talked for twenty straight minutes. The reason I was cranky was because being here is kind of like being stuck on an island. I don’t have a car, so I can’t DRIVE anywhere to pick up ART supplies, there is no poster board laying around, no glue, I DON’T EVEN HAVE A PRINTER, we’re NOT ALLOWED TO WATCH VIDEOS because the internet here literally runs out of you go on youtube, I don’t know ANY MUSLIMS (the group I’m doing my presentations), I DON’T HAVE A PHONE, so I can’t call anyone to TRY to find some Muslims randomly. Maybe I was overreacting… AHEM. 
So… I may or may not have voiced my concerns… in retrospect, I think I may have been rude… I don’t normally voice any concerns… so I have no idea if I really was rude or not… MENTAL NOTE: apologize just in case.
Then we went to the mall for a field trip. Each group has a different culture. The goal was to find someone of that culture and talk to them.
Hmmm. If I had to choose ONE word to describe this… wait, lemme think for a mintute… Oh, yeah.
AWKWARD!!!!!
Literally, you had to go up to strangers and be all, HI. Are you Muslim. AHHH.
Luckily, I am grouped with the lovely Jenny and Allie. At least I wasn’t by myself.
Thing was, we went early in the morning. There was like NO ONE at the mall!!! ESPECIALLY no Muslims!!! Inside, I was screaming,, WHYYYYY!?!?!?!?!?!?!
But then!
A mother and daughter Muslim team!
I think I was really excited because I went up to them as they were leaving a store and was all, HI!”
Yeah, they totally freaked out and ran away from me.
I know. I’m scary….?
But, as they were the only 2 Muslims, we followed them. Naturally.
I tried a more “chill” approach next time: “Hey, how’s it going? I’m an American exchange student and I have to study different cultures. Do you mind if we ask you some questions?”
Now, they were all smiles. “OH, yes! We knew you were from somewhere else! We were staring at you, wondering where you were from since you don’t fit it! Hahahahah!”
Um. Thaaaaanks.
Anyway, they were super helpful and nice.
After that, we figured we were pretty much set. So we were standing outside of my favorite South African store (think H&M. Cheap. Cute. But I rarely buy anything.) trying to decided whether or not to go in. I felt bad! This was an educational field trip! What if Clive saw us! I was already mean to him!
As we were contemplating the ethical pros and cons of entering said establishment, I kid you not, this Muslim 20-ish year old comes over and starts hitting on us “three beautiful girls.” He wanted to hang out with us and visit. And he wanted our numbers. I’m flattered to have such good looking friends J. In the middle of his “flirt-fest,” I cut the creep off and all, “ARE YOU MUSLIM?” Yep, he was. JACKPOT! We asked him questions too. And then ran away. It was pretty entertaining!
On the bus ride home, Clive told us our project-impossible would now be a TEAM effort, and due A WEEK LATER!!! YAAAAAAY!!!!!! So… moral of the story… voice your concerns… but in a nicer way next time??
Zulu was fun. We heard a Zulu fairytale about how the animals got their tails. A zulu saying: “The Rockrabbit does not have a tail due to procrastination.” Interesting, right?!
I had a great chill time with Morgan. Love you!
Deb-ster is on the Friday worship team, and I’m on the Monday, but she asked me to join her this week, so I happily attended Thursday worship practice. And GUESS WHAT?! They are letting me play guitar on “In Christ Alone!” That song truly has deep meaning for me now, as it was the last song that man on Sunday ever sang.
PRAY FOR ME!!!
Super excited to play J During practice, it felt right… I don’t know… I feel like God’s been calling me to play guitar…. So I am happy J
Riley, Colton and Deb were super helpful and supportive! I am forever grateful!!!

Off to breakfast and chapel! Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment