Monday, February 7, 2011

Dancing in the Rain in the African Jungle!


Feb 7
"Don't worry about what people think of you. Worry about what people think of themselves when they are around you". -Hillary Weeks

A little wisdom from Kamree Merrill’s facebook!! Thanks, Schkampers! (I hope you are having an AMAZING TIME IN COLLEGE!!!)


A verse that resonates with my LIFE is Esther 4:13-15:
“For if you remain silent at this time, relief and deliverance for the Jews will arise from another place, but you and your family will surely die. But who knows that you have come to royal position for such a time as this?”

We are apart of God's story. He is the author of our characters! I want to live the life God imagined for me when He was creating me. I am HERE at this TIME in this PLACE for such a time as this. I want to be used by God. For if I don't step up and do what I'm being called to do, someone ELSE will. And I want to be a great warrior heroine for God! No one else is going to steal my story :)

EPIC JAW DROPPING EVENTS OF MY DAY:
*Chapel. Noelle taught about how when many of us came to South Africa, we expected our “baggage” (HAHAHA TRAVELER’S JARGON! J) to stay in the US. In actuality, much of our baggage came with us. (literally as well as metaphorically. Da da schhhhhh [<- punch line drum shenanigan]J)

It make me realize that as much as I’d like to, I can’t just forget about the things that have held me back in the past. I have to take them out and deal with them. Which is why I am having so many “growing pains.” Ahhh, it all makes sense J

*ZULU! I studied! I learned 50 new words!!!!! I have 150 to learn before Wednesday, I I have decided to learn in increments of 50. BAM. FINALLY it is getting a smidgen easier. I think my mind is getting assimilated to the way the language works. HAAAAAAAAAAAALELUJAH! HALLELUJAH!!!!

*Teatime! Apparently, water, as well as blue hair dye, has become illegal in this great but strange nation. There is ONLY JUICE AND TEA! There used to be GIGANTIC water cases big enough to satisfy me AND the ocean. But WHAM, BAM BOOF, they have been replaced with a dainty pitcher! The pitcher is empty after TWO people use it!!! This is heavily distressing to me. I drink like a fish, hence the oceanic reference. Every tea time/ meal time I always hoard water into water bottles, steal water bottles…. Whatever I have to do. This is a matter of survival.

At teatime, I was able to have a lovely chat with Lauren, a nursing student! I shared my Esther revelation with her and she was totally excited! I like this girl J


*INTERCOMM! That’s right. I studied. AGAIN. WHAT IS HAPPENING TO ME?! We have a 7 page paper due on Thursday. It shouldn’t be too nasty. I’d rather a paper than a group project any day! My study time was spent compiling loads and loads of research. I think my brain is expanding! What with Zulu, French, English, intercom, and Africa all rollin’ around in there! (Whenever I have to translate English to Zulu, French always gets in there… It’s like English -> French -> SOS! -> Zulu. Weird, right?)

*NAP!!! I LOVE NAPS!!! Before college, I couldn’t take them. Now, they are a cherished, somewhat holy, activity J. It was only a 10 minute nap, but it felt like I was asleep for YEARS!!! Serious Rem cycle going on!

*Lunch. Nothing exciting. But I did secretly and successfully complete another water mission! Haha!

*And more studying. It is cruel to stare out the window at the waterfall, knowing I can’t take part in God’s glory today. RUDE. It was extra torturous TODAY because we sang this amazing song in chapel:

You're Beautiful
by Phil Wickham



I see your face in every sunrise

The colors of the morning are inside your eyes

The world awakens in the light of the day

I look up to your sky and say...
You’re Beautiful



I see your power in the moonlit night

Where planets are in motion and galaxies are bright

We are amazed in the light of the stars

Its all proclaiming who you are...
You’re beautiful



I see you there hanging on a tree

You bled and then you died and then you rose again for me

Now you are setting on your heavenly throne

Soon you will be coming home...
You’re Beautiful



When we arrive at eternity’s shore

Where death is just a memory and tears are no more

We’ll enter in as the wedding bells ring

Your bride will come together and we’ll sing...
You’re Beautiful

AH the lyrics get me EVERY TIME! Especially “When we arrive at eternity’s shore,
where death is just a memory and tears are no more…” Such a beautiful visual. This part also helped a lot with trying to make sense of
yesterday.


BEST PART OF MY DAY:
Kara and Morgan and I went off for a little hike in the Nature Reserve (no big. J) As we are having deep talks and I am marveling at God’s creation (FINALLY GOT SOME IN MY DAY! YESSSS!!!!!!!!), we suddenly hear BOOOOOOOOOOOM. <- thunder, obviously. And then, BAM! RAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not a soft trickle. Not a pitter patter. Full blown slap-you-in-the-face RAIN!!! SO GOOD!!! Best nature hike ever! We were singing and dancing and hiking and LOVING LIFE!!! Talk about making lemonade… or LITERALLY dancing in the rain in the AFRICAN JUNGLE. Shazam. I don’t think I have EVER been so wet from natural causes. It was beautiful.

In Intercomm, I pretty much got made fun of for being American. Meh. No big.

Today was Wailana’s birthday! Happy 20th! She had a birthday cake, and I was SO excited to have some, since my tummy has been slightly angry all day, and cake sounded quite comforting. Alas, as fate would have it, there was a traveler at my table. I heard her story about how her parents had died 20 years ago, and how I should be grateful for my parents. I assured her that my family and I are TIGHT. Like Nutella and strawberries. This calmed her down. I asked her if I could get her a piece of cake. “YES,” she forcefully replied. OHHHHKAYYY, scary lady! Morgan and I go to get some of that deliciousness, and NOOOO! Falls to knees. WHYYYYYYYYY???!!!!! There is ONE piece left. “Want to split it?” Asks the generous Morgan. I WOULD. But the traveler wanted some! Sigh. We put on our big girl hats and graciously deliver the slice of heaven to the emotional traveler. SIGH. Being a Chrsistian SUCKS. J Just kidding. She looked like she enjoyed the cake. That didn’t help matters much.

My biggest complaint so far is that I didn’t get cake. Wow. That says something. I am BLESSED. And I am thankful!!!

Sigh. Smile. J

1 comment:

  1. "My family and I are TIGHT. Like Nutella and strawberries..."

    You make me smile.

    You are dearly loved, lady. Praying for you!

    JennJenn

    ReplyDelete