Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Princess of Gifts.


Feb 8

I cannot BELIEVE it is already FEBRUARY 8TH!!!

Deb freaked me out yesterday.

She told me…

… That we are a THIRD of the way THROUGH the SEMESTER!!!!!!!!!! That is SO CRAZY!!! I don’t even know what to do with myself! AH!

And next week, I’m having a Zulu midterm. WHAT!? I JUST STARTED CLASS!!!!

Life. It’s beautiful. It ZOOMS BY. Don’t miss out. J

Tuesdays are my FAVORITE because we visit service sites! Today’s site was christened with the oh-so-lame-American-ish title of “Project Gateway.” I hereby rename it “Project Prison.”

Ohhh, you think I’m joking. It literally used to be a prison. We were given a tour, and our tour guide, who seemed to favor ill-fitting pants, declared, “dees is de trap doh weh they hung peoples.” (<- my South African accent, not meant to be offensive!) Niiiice. Glad I know that. And those red stains in the carpet? Are they new?! Something I did NOT ask.

The organization itself seemed LEGIT. It had many programs that helped others, including a homeless shelter, clinic, school, and countless programs that taught people how to make a living for themselves. It even has a fashion school! One of their students was recently given a scholarship to study at a fashion institute in Europe! So cool.

Unfortunately, we wouldn’t be doing any of that cool stuff. Mostly filling out paperwork. Recommended for business majors. EHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. (<- obnoxious BEEEEP!) Ex-nay for me. Totally love the program. But not paperwork.

I accidentally got on the wrong bus on the way home and sat by Lindsay. We ended up having this INTENSE talk and prayer time complete with bawling for like an HOUR when we got back about Spiritual gifts, South Africa, and everything in between. So BLESSED. I am SO excited to start D-groups with Lindsay! Ok, God obviously uses even has my ACCIDENTAL BUS HOPPING for good. One talented guy ;) Highlight of my day:

We received Zulu names today in class!!!! I was so excited I almost fell off my chair. Good one.

You may now call me “NoSipho.” I know what you’re thinking: Ewww. Cough, cough. I thought that too. Until I learned what it meant.

You better start callin’ me “your majesty,” because translated, “NoSipho” is

PRINCESS WITH GIFTS.

Yaay! Isn’t that super sweet?! Apparently, I am gifted J I feel so special.

A sad realization of my day is that there is some immaturity here. Seriously, age is just a number. I feel so old. Any other oldies out there? Are you lonely? How did I end up being an old lady at 17? I just don’t understand.

Prayers appreciated.

Today when I needed a break from studying, I went out to the waterfall and sang and prayed. I will miss being able to do that when I return.

I don’t want to take it for granted. I don’t want to come back unchanged. I don’t want to miss out.

Sigh. 

1 comment: