Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Tangled with Giraffes?!


February 22, 2011
What. A. Day. SIGH!

My lovely day began right at 5:30. Morgan and I literally saw the most beautiful sight of my life. We stopped running and just stared at the sunrise. Words cannot explain the magnificence. All I’m going to say is? There was mist. AH.

After running, I went back to sleep until 10:00! SUCH a genius idea!!! Oh, the GLORY! Then Debs walked in the room (she returned from tea) and was all, “Hey aren’t you going on that field trip thing?” WHAT?! OH! The Zulu field trip! Baba Philip, our driver, had offered to take our Zulu class to see giraffes “at this pleh-ce rrright ne-uh my how-use” (translation: at this place right near his house.)

I SPRUNG out of bed, pulled on my overalls and skidaddled! They waited for me J it was so nice, because AE has a strict no-wait policy! People are left behind ALL THE TIME.

When we arrived at Baba’s nature reserve, I was kind of confused. If you remember from Friday, we went to this GORGEOUS place that was flawless and amazing and phenomenal. Today? Well… let’s just say we were trailblazers. We would hike in the BLAZING African heat for about 15 minutes and then Baba would say, “It not dis way. We turn round.” We turned round about three times. It was SO hot! My water had run out! The desert was overtaking me!

Just when Baba told us he had given up and we should return to our lovely vehicle of transport, Colton, being manly and all (literally. His last name is “Manly.”) decided to climb a tree and visually hunt for these stealthy giraffes.

I had given up hope. There was NO WAY we were going to see these monstrous beasts!

But then, “I FOUND ONE!!!!”

Liana and I raced towards Colton! But soon, our “racing” turned into slow maneuvering. There was no longer a trail. The grass/ weeds/ brush/ thorn bushes were five feet tall. FIVE FEET TALL!!!! What is a girl to do?! Every five seconds, you’d hear an “OW! AHH! SHOOT! DANNGIT!” The “ow”s were from the rocks hidden by the grass. The “ahh”s were from getting weeds stuck in you (shudder, shudder), the “shoots” were from getting tangled in the brush (it was super intense brush. No kidding.) and the WORST sound of all, “danngit,” came from the thorn bushes. AH, the AGONY!!! These suckers had throns about an inch long! So nasty! I have many a scratch and cut. “That dang giraffe had better be worth it,” I thought.

Well, I needn’t have worried.

Colton said there was one giraffe.

He obviously needs to take a math class because there were twenty one giraffes.

BAHHH!!! We were SO excited! We got completely close to them. We’re talking like all up in their business. I would say we were about ten to fifteen feet away? (I stink at measurements, but you get the idea… we were CLOSE.) So pretty much, it was glorious.

When we got back, Colton helped me climb a tree. It was super successful! I think I shall spend a year of my life in a tree. But then it started raining, thundering, and lightning-ing, so we ditched! But while it lasted, it was great J.

After dinner, about 30 of us went to see Tangled.

Ok, for those of you who DON’T know, I maybe might have a slight obsession with this film. Like, this may or may not have been my 6th time to see it. Ahem.

We arrived early, so Lindsay and I got sprinkle covered ice cream for less than a dollar! SCORE! But we couldn’t take it inside the theater… so Lindsay, Mackenzie and I were talking about favorite books while we finished our ice cream. When we had finished, we were still deep in conversation when we entered the theater.

Here, you have assigned seats for movies! Whodda thunk?!

Mackenzie realized there was someone sitting in his seat… this should have been our first clue. We snagged some random seats. A commercial for “How Do You Know” was playing. Side note: If you haven’t seen this film, don’t. Really. You will thank me later. It was a WASTE OF MY LIFE! I couldn’t help noticing that this was a REALLY long trailer! WHAT is the DEAL?! And then… I looked around and realized that there were definitely no APU people in that theater.

Yep. The dumb Americans went in the WRONG theater. We ran away!

Take TWO: In the RIGHT theatre, will ALL Americans that I happen to know and love. HURRAH!!! AH, I was SO excited. On one side, I had Lindsay who loves Tangled ALMOST as much as I do, so it was PERFECT to watch it with her! And on the other side, I had Mackenzie who wouldn’t let me sing along. Pshh. Newbie.

At the CLIMAX of the film, RIGHT after SOMETHING happened to Flynn (I won’t spoil it for those of you who haven’t seen it!), the sound shut off!!!! But never fear!!! Lindsay and I took over in the voice over department. We had seen it enough times, so obviously, we shouted the lines for the cartoon.

LINDSAY/ FLYNN: “You were my new dream!”
REN/ RAPUNZEL: “And you were mine!”

BOTH: "Flower! Gleam and glooooow! Let you power shiiiiine! Make the clock reverse! Bring back what once was miiiiiine! What once was miiiiiine.” Yeah, we pretty much rocked it.

But then PJ got them to turn the sound back on, so it was ok J

It was perhaps the best night so far. Obviously.

When we got back, there was D group. So good!

Sigh. A great day. Truly fantastic J

No comments:

Post a Comment