Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Rabbit and Child highlights :)


February 1, 2011.

RABBIT!!!!!!!!! GOT YOU, MAE!!!! AHAHAHA, she is still CHAMPION!!!!! J

A few fabulous highlights from today:

-I started my day off by reading Ephesians 6:10 and literally “putting on the armor of God.” It really set my day off well! No monkey attacks, so I’d say it worked quite well! I encourage you to try it!

-I was going to take a shower… but then the cleaning lady came in… and she was mopping the bathroom floor… I felt SO BAD!!! I don’t want to mess up what she was doing RIGHT TTHEN!!!!!!!! I was torn! The internal conflict was RAGING! To take a shower and be clean OR offend this lovely woman?! To not repel people with my odor or make the cleaning lady start again?! Oh, WOE IS ME!!!! While I was trying to make this heavy decision, she finished and left. AHAHA! SCORE! I got my shower after all, just in case y’all were wondering.

-I experimented with Sun In today!!! Yes, lame, but I am giddy with excitement!!! Why…? Not sure. I’ll get back to you if I get a revelation on that one J

-For an isiZulu assignment, I had to go up to 3 Zulu men and ask for their “Isithakazelos,” or “praise names.” Awkward. I was stalking the kitchen staff. “Excuse me! Hi! Are you Zulu?! Really?! Oh, hallelujah! * clears throat* (insert forgotten Zulu phrases.)” The baffled men give me an answer sounding quite unlike anything else I have ever heard… “I’m sorry… could you repeat that?!” I finally gave up and asked them to write it down for me. They oh so kindly obliged! Anything for the blonde, confused looking, always smiling American J. “Maybe if we help her, she’ll go away!” J

-Chelsea, Hali and Samantha! Hey guys! THANKS for reading my blog!!!! It’s so nice to catch up with you guys! I really, really, really appreciate you guys taking the time to read it! Best of luck to you guys in your college-hunt! I BELIEVE IN YOU! J (Chelsea: thanks for the picture! Priceless J)

-The service site!!! It was called “House of Hope” in Zulu. SO AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!! Ah! My heart! I think I felt a call to go there… I am waiting to see about the other sites, but… I REALLY want to go to this one! I would mentor children aged 1-20, help with English, sing for them, plant a garden.. mostly, I would be hanging out with the kids. I got to read Goldilocks with a little girl today J So precious!!! At the end of the tour, the person in charge asked, “Anyone have any questions?”  I had just one: Can I call dibbs?!

-As I was attempting to study the most difficult and impossible language known to man (aka Zulu) on the lawn with Carmen, this little girl came up to me and JUMPED in my lap. So gleeful! So trusting! Good things don’t last forever; she ran away. Then a little boy, Monet, came up to Carmen and me. He asked us to show him our “houses!” When we came to mine, he decided to show us some magic. He made my bracelet appear AND disappear!!! Truly magical!!!!!!! And then he danced for us! When he declared, “I wanna dance with the ladies!” I was DJ, and Monet danced with Carmen. It was SO CUTE! When we told him we were going to have to study in a bit, he almost started CRYING!!! Can I keep him, please?!

-Jesus-infused talks with Carmen, Tyler, and Katie. Super blessed. Maybe you could pray for these guys? They’re fantastic!


Tomorrow is my very first ZULU EXAM!!!!! AHHHHHHH HELP!!!!!!!!! EHHH. It’ll be ok. It’s so hard to remember that I’m here to take classes. Pshhh, please. I’m so not. MEH. Once again, the raging internal conflict surfaces!

I am EXHAUSTED. Not sure why. Can’t…. make it…. Jk. J

Skype date with the Mckenster tomorrow! Woot!

Stay tuned for more Africa adventures coming your way.

1 comment:

  1. Your adventures sound like so much fun!! I miss you so much Renna. I am so glad that the Lord is working through you, and you're able to build friendships with the people there. When you come back I want to hear some of your Zulu language. :)

    PS, I am glad you got your shower too ;)

    ReplyDelete