Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Butterfly: She Came, She Loved, and Everything Changed.


March 29, 2011
TUESDAY.

Today was the last day the whole staff would be together.

SO the staff gave us our farewell gift:
A beautiful card and our Zulu names.

Ok, not going to lie. This project was headed up by our social workers. And I loved mine. I truly did! She was so precious! But we didn’t bond as well as I’d hoped due to the language barrier, and how shy she was. But I loved her. So I wasn’t expecting much from my name or my card.

But I was happily surprised.

My Zulu name: Noluthando.
In the beautiful broken English written in my card by my social worker: “Noluthando: She have love and caring everyone, since she came in our family centre everythings change.

“I love your smile, laugh and your music. You sing so beautiful. You are so full of joy. Thank you for all you do at Family Centre I love you so much. From Samke.”

Ok. Ok, now. What a BLESSING! I love and care for everyone, I came and everything changed?! And the fact that she told me I was full of JOY?! Come on!!! This wonderful woman barely could make conversation with me in English! Yet she could notice that I am JOYFUL, the very thing God is teaching me now?!!?!?!?!?!?!

I am in awe, Jesus. Jaw-dropping, gum-popping AWE.

The rest of the staff wrote in the card as well.

Phindile: “Hi Renna. I love you smile, and singing. God be with you in your plans.”

Nonie: “Hola Chica Bonita! You’re so amazing in everything especially in singing acting. I really have been inspired by you keep it up good work you so good on it.”

Nhlaka: I enjoy having you around and I love the way you sing and I wish you came back if you got a chance. May God bless you.

Sikhu: Thank you, for having in Family Centre was amazing, your drama, singing, may God grant His spirit in you.

Zwe: The first day when you shared your story I was touched but I saw the courage and boldness in you. Beautiful voice to praise God, I will miss all that and I hope you enjoyed your stay in South Africa! Just a remind God as a great mission for you. Stick in his heart and you will find it.

AH. Zwe!!! I told him my waterfall story the first day. I have been praying for boldness. I love that: “God has a great mission for you. Stick in his heart and you will find it.” I want to stick in God’s heart more than anything. Thank you, Zwe.

And finally, Claire.

Claire: Ok sweet Thando, where to begin? You make an incredible first impression, princess. There are so many things I could write, but I’ll stick to this: thank you for being so beautiful, working s hard and uttin g up with huge, crutch-shaped obstacles so wonderfully. My prayer for you is that you would know who God has made you- the butterflies are symbolic! Love you lots sweetie pie!

Claire cut out beautiful butterflies out of music note paper for the front of my card. It is gorgeous. I didn’t know what she meant by “the butterflies are symbolic.” So I asked her.

“Renna, I believe that your time here can be signified by the life of a butterfly. God has taken you out of the life of everything you know, just like a caterpillar. He put you in this cocoon, or Africa, where you are learning and growing and changing extraordinarily. When you go home, you will have transformed in every way and become a beautiful butterfly.”

I am in awe. AGAIN. Praise the Lord. Ah.

Drama day!!!

Remember Nonjabulo? She wants to be an actress. She is a beautiful 18 year old with a 2 year old son.

Today’s skit was Shadrach, Meshach, and Abendigo.

The Faithful Abangane (friends)!

Narrator: Kwasuka sukela, kwakukhona abangane abakhulu. (Once upon a time) there were three best friends.

Enter the 3!

Either with a secret handshake, and in three part harmony. Possible pyramid?

Shadrach: Shadrach….

Meshach: Meshach…

Abendigo: Abendigo…

All three: ABANGANE!

Narrator: Now these abangane loved God more than anything else. They prayed to him every day!

Shadrack: HI God! Thanks for the flowers!

Meshack: God, the sky is beautiful today!

Abendigo: I love you, God!

Narrator: But one day, an evil king named Nebuchadnezzar made up a new rule.

King: I have made a statue of gold.

A kid is chosen to be the statue.

King: Everyone must bow down and worship the statue, or you will die!

The kingdom bows down to the statue, quite sillily.

Narrator: But these three abangane LOVED God SO much, they refused to bow down to the statue. This made the king very angry!

King: WHY aren’t you bowing down to my statue?!

Shadrack: I’m sorry, king. We can only bow down to the ONE, TRUE God.

Narrator: This made the king FURIOUS!

King: THAT’S IT! I am going to throw you into the fire because you will not worship my statue!

Kids get in a circle and become the fire.

The King throws the three into the center of the circle.

Narrator: But instead of being burned, the three abangane were fine! The LORD sent an angel to protect them.

The angel dances into the circle and squirts water at them.

Narrator: When the king saw that the three abangane were still alive, he was AMAZED!!!

King: Shadrack! Meshack! Abendigo! Are you alive?!

Meshack: Yes, king! We’re doing just fine!

King: It’s a miracle! Now I know that your GOD is the one, TRUE God! Come out of there, you three!

They come out of the fire.

King: From now on, everyone will worship YOUR God, the God of Israel! Everyone, let’s stand up and worship!

Ujehova simangalis uyabus
Ezulwini phezulu
Ngothando namandla nokuhlakanipha
Ujehova simangaliso


There is only ONE true God. How many? (ONE!) Even when people are mean, and tell us to worship other fake gods, we need to be strong because God will protect us and bless us because we were faithful.

Together, WE can be FAITHFUL ABANGANE by only praying to God! Everybody say “faithful abangane” on THREE! 1, 2, 3! (Faithful abangane!)

Hurrah!

So I was Shadrach, Nonjabulo was Meshach, Aimee was Abendigo, Lindsay was the Narrator, Londi was the King, and Shayna was the Angel.

It was great fun. We videoed it so Nonjabulo could watch herself. She was SO excited!

It was beautiful.

I realized how BLESSED I am to have had the childhood I did. I was literally ALWAYS in a show, if not two or three. I loved it! I truly did. And I believe I was grateful. But meeting Nonjabulo gives my past a whole new significance. I had the opportunity to do what I loved. And my family was unconditionally supportive. They drove me to the ends of the earth! But Nonjabulo has neither the opportunity nor the family. Mpophomeni has no theaters. No acting programs that I know of. As far as family goes, she has her son, Sno. They live alone.

If for five minutes, I could help Nonjabulo’s dream of performing come true, then I can rest easily and believe that I made a difference. Yes, it was so silly! It was a skit in front of school children! But still, it was performing in a role. And if I have a blast doing them, I am guessing she does too.

Shayna pointed out that maybe my past of theatre existed so I could help these children.

What a thought.

My life was centered around theatre. I loved it! It was amazing! But what if that wasn’t the focus point? What if it was only preparing me to do a different kind of ministry? That thought makes me jump for JOY. It means that God was preparing me YEARS and YEARS ago for this time! That I truly was placed here in such a time as this! It would be the ultimate combination of serving the Lord and praising Him with my passions, gifts, and talents.

Lord, could this be? Is this what you have for me?


No comments:

Post a Comment