Saturday, April 30, 2011

Stairway to Heaven


April 27, 2011

SO last night, Debs and I had the most amazing talk ever. And it lasted until three in the morning. It was TOTALLY worth it, but it made for a tired day!

In class, we watched “Amandla!” A documentary about the role of music in apartheid. It was fascinating.

I think one of my favorite aspects of South African culture is the music. I love it, love it, love it.

The weather was fair enough today for us to hike Table Mountain! WOOO!!!

It was QUITE daunting. Ahem. It looked JUST like the “Cliffs of INSANITY!!!” (from my all-time favorite movie…)

I hiked with Janet and Lauren. We were in the back, taking it slow and steady so we could really enjoy the beauty on the way up.

It was quite the bugger of a hike though—SO STEEP!!! We hiked for about 3 ½ hours non-stop, STRAIGHT UP. WHEW!!!! SO intense.

And this was the first serious exercise I’ve had since my lovely waterfall hurrah, so… let’s just say I was winded. And my ankle isn’t currently feeling too hot. But that’s totally cool. I’m so happy I got to climb at all!

The beauty was so exquisite, it was hard for me to believe it was real. I kept thinking it was a film set! Hmm… that tells you that I spend a whole lot of my time in nature, hey? NOT. But I am looking forward to some more nature this summer! Woot, woot!

To entertain us on the way up, I shared the story of “Hind’s feet on high places.” I thought it was fitting, considering we were climbing a VERY high place.

And I definitely took advantage of the cavernous echo-y quality and sang,

I lift my eyes up
To the mountain
Where does my help
Come from?
My help comes from you
Maker of Heaven
Creator of the earth
Oh how I need you, Lord!
You’re my only hope
You’re my only prayer!
So I will wait for you
To come and rescue me
Come and give me life!
I lift my eyes up
To the mountain
Where does my help
Come from?

Aaand my current personal favorite…

Up to the mountain
I went up to the mountain
Because you asked me to
Looked over the clouds
To where the sky was blue
I could see all around me
Everywhere
I could see all around me
Everywhere
Sometimes I feel like
I’ve never been nothing but tired
And I’ll be working
‘Til the day I expire
Sometimes I just lay down
Lord, no more can I do
But then I go on again
Because you asked me to
Some days I look down
Afraid, afraid I will fall!
And though the sun shines
I see nothing
Coming and going
Lord telling me softly
You love me so

Love that song.

Lauren and Janet and I definitely had bonding!!!!!

Every SINGLE time we passed someone coming down, they would give us a time estimate. The trouble was, every estimate varied GREATLY.

“10 minutes!”
“An hour and a half!”
“20 minutes!”

By the 10th person, I was annoyed. WHY did this annoy me? I don’t know. Haha.

When we were nearing the top, struggling for every step, for every breath, and my ankle was throbbing, and Lauren was having trouble with the big steps (she is not the tallest of the tall… J), and Janet was encouraging us, Lauren says, “It’s just like the stairway to heaven!”

I laughed so hard.

Because it WAS!!!! There was an angelic mist that was encircling the top of the mountain! We were suddenly the only ones up there! How did THAT happen?! There was a rock formation that looked like a throne!!!!

“Jesus?!” I called.

Here I am.

Yep. There He was. His beauty just about knocked me over.

SO worth it!!!!

But it was ffrreeezzzing!! What I would have given for a pair of gloves!!!

Then we went to the lovely Table Top of the Mountain Café. Pizza! Woohoo! I got to hang out with Janet for a bit, which was awesome. We have a date for tomorrow J

For the way down, we took the cable car! My ankle couldn’t deal with down hill! No, siree!

The cable car was AWESOME! It had completely windowed walls, so you could see out, and the floor ROTATED so you got to see all aspects of the mountain as we came down. It was legit.

On the bus ride home, I had a God-ordained chat with Miranda. SO beautiful.

Jessie and Amanda and I went to dinner at Tribecca’s. SO fun!!!

The rest of the night was spent KILLING my paper! That’s right! I’m DONE!!!! WOOOO!!!!!!

I can’t believe we have so little time left. It’s weird. But it feels about right. It’s going to be ok. I’m ready for new journeys and adventures. 

No comments:

Post a Comment