Monday, April 18, 2011

Cold and a Carnival in Cape Town


April 16, 2011

This morning I woke up to a hurricane.

Not really J But it SOUNDED like it!!! Corinne prepared a beautiful breakfast for Debs and me- Milo Cereal and bran muffins! The Milo cereal is chocolatey goodness that Debs is OBESESSED with! And the muffins were fresh out of the oven. SO delish.

Papa Paul walked us down to the church where we were to be picked up by the API bus driver. It was SO COLD and WINDY!!! Fun fact of Ocean View: True residents NEVER walk on the sidewalk. Or so says Paul.

Once we were on the bus, I got to have a good talk with Kallie.

This morning’s destination: TABLE MOUNTAIN. I was so excited!!!

The plan was to climb up this glorious, God-made land mass.

Unfortunately, as soon as we exited the bus, we could tell that our plans were going to have to be rearranged… It was so windy, I could barely WALK STRAIGHT! The park ranger advised that we NOT climb this ginormous MOUNTAIN. Yet… many in our group still wished to battle the climate. Ahem. Props to them if they think they could complete an intense hike when the weather is peachy—let alone when one can barely stand!

Yet, those crazies—I mean, adventurers—were overruled. We scrambled back onto the 80’s cheesy bus and tried to decide how to fill our day.

The conclusive decision: A day in Cape Town. Hurrah.

I hung out with Heather, Aimee, Morgan, and Melinda. We walked EVERYWHERE! We explored markets and found our way to the Waterfront, and then to a train station! BAM!

Not going to lie… there was a heck of a lot of negativity splattered into my day, which was sad L.

I think we’re all just getting to that time when America sounds really good and nerves are high and patience is low.

I began getting a little homesick today myself.

I have had NO ALONE TIME in QUITE a while. Which isn’t a bad thing. But. Being an introvert, that doesn’t result too positively.

Being with my home stay family has made me a bit homesick myself L. This family is AMAZING. Corinne and Paul truly and evidently love each other. Jordan and Luke are so phenomenal with baby Parker! It touches my heart! Both of the boys remind me of Tommy. I MISS YOU! And Clinty!!! And I missed my mom. It’s nice having that one person in the world who completely understands you. Plus, she always thinks I’m funny. J And having Paul makes me miss my dad.

Paul is one of the best fathers I have ever seen. Every time I watch him interact with Parker, I think, “Wow. That’ s an incredible father,” and I also think, “That’s what God must be like.”

One time, Parker and Paul were playing. They were having a grand old time!
Then Paul said, “Parker, turn left!”
But Parker was sneaky. SO she turned right and ran into the couch and fell down.
Without a moment’s hesitation, Paul swooped down and picked her up and said, “Come here, Baby. I love you.” He held her close.

That’s my relationship with my Father in Heaven. We’ll be having a party, then God will give me some sort of direction. But I’ll do the opposite of what he asked me. Then I’ll get hurt in some way, shape, or form.

Instead of running away, laughing, or saying “I told you so,” my Daddy is always there for me, scooping me up, and holding me in His arms, ready to fix whatever mess I made this time.

Thank you for exemplifying that, Paul!

Corinne made hot dogs for dinner. In Africa, they use real dogs. I’m going to miss Fluffy…

JUST kidding. But they DO put butter on the bread before the ketchup. It’s super positive!

There was a carnival tonight in Ocean View! Although it was FREEEEEZZZZINGGG, it was a BLAST. And it was so great to hang out with Jordan and Luke. It’s almost like hanging out with my best friend. You know. The one that has the same last name that I do? J

We rode the “Big Wheel.” (Ferris Wheel.) Debs and I were all, “WHERE’S NOAH?!” (If you didn’t catch that quote, shame on you. We shan’t be friends.) Then we rode the scrambler. Jordan and Debs squished me the WHOLE time! But, it was worth it. Love them.

Our family calls me three things: Ren, Daughter, or Sister. I just feel so welcomed and loved.

Church tomorrow, and I’m not sure what else.

Come on, adventure!!

And hopefully… some down time.

Legger slap! (Don’t know how to spell it. But it means good night.)

No comments:

Post a Comment