Wednesday, April 13, 2011

One Day More


April 7, 2011

We woke up to many, many, MANY animal noises. AHEM. HEYYYY there, rooster and cows!! Glad to hear you’re alive and well this fine morning!

Our first activity of the day was milking cows. Don’t get me wrong. Cows are great. Really. But I can’t say I’m a huge fan. I keep learning new things about myself. Hurrah!

Then we made pots! This was SO fun. All my years of Play-doh playing came into use! And, hey Mae, remember that ceramics class we took at the Lion Center? I totally have leftover talent from that time! (I was 6 years old, people. I could have been a great pot maker!!!)

I was an artist! I was so talented! I was having a party with my clay!

And then one of the workers walks by my beautiful creation and gives it a dirty look. As IF I was going to let him get away with that!

“What?! Do you want to help me fix it or something??”

He says nothing. He leans down and scoops up what I have spent SO long on, and then, in the blink of an eye, he FLATTENS IT. SQUISHES IT!!! My jaw DROPS. And I couldn’t help but GASP. Annaliesa, who’s next to me, grabs my arm.
“Renna! Are you ok?!”

No words. I am in shock.
“Eh—Uh- Pot! My! DEAD!”

I was devastated. Then he remade my pot and gave it back to me. It was super nice of him… but I mean… a perfect pot wasn’t really the point of the exercise, hey? Wasn’t it supposed to be a chance to take a moment in the shoes of the Zulus? I liked my slightly deformed pot. It had character. And I’ve always wanted to be original, as opposed to perfect. So that was interesting.

While I was pot-less, I had an amazing talk with Annaliesa. I hope I get to know her better on this trip! She is a gem.

After pots, we made bracelets! I liked this a lot J Mine is super bright and colorful. Which, I’m sure, is surprising. Cough, cough.

This concluded our Zulu experience. It was quite lovely.

I sat with Reagan and Liana on the way home. Love them.

When we got home, I was so excited to see Debs and Morgan!!! I missed them!!

That night, we had a dance party! Mary Bette was SO FUNNY! She loves dancing, and got us all excited about it J

The dance party was super fun! I showcased my brilliant moves. I am more of a classical dancer. Therefore, I selected moves such as the sacred Sprinkler, the showy shopping carts, and the cute Q-tip. Karissa and I created dance moves for each of the Big Five! My personal favorite is the Elephant!!! SO great, Karissa!!!

I was so proud of myself for lasting an hour. That’s big for me in a dance! Wooo!

You know something? The more confident I become in myself, the more confident I become in dancing. Hmm…

Great day. So sad that tomorrow’s our last day!!!!

One more dawn
One more day
One day more

No comments:

Post a Comment